How to record a video message when you’re camera shy!
Are you struggling to record a video message?
I think a lot of us are self-conscious when it comes to being in front of a video camera. We are not used to seeing ourselves and we’re often surprised at how our voice sounds.
Here are some tips to help:
- Practice filming yourself on your own and watch it back. The more you see yourself, the more confident you will be. The more you hear your own voice, the more accustomed you’ll get to it.
- It helps to prepare something and sharing a memory, or an anecdote is a great idea. Then you can add any photos relating to your story, which means that you don’t have to be on camera all the time. It’s also a great way to hide an edit point.
- If it helps, put prompts on stickies near to the camera so you don’t forget what to say.
- Spend some time on your appearance, you’ll want to look your best.
- Don’t forget to look at the lens and not the screen, that way it will look as though you are speaking directly to the recipient.
- When you are ready to record your message, take a deep breath, be yourself and pretend that the person watching the video is right in front of you.
- Don’t forget to smile! When you have a genuine smile on your face, you release chemicals that help you relax and therefore you feel more confident. As you know, smiles are contagious, so the people watching won’t be able to stop themselves smiling along with you.
It doesn’t matter how many times you record your message, it can always be edited. Remember that the person receiving the video will be so delighted to see you that they won’t be judging your performance.
If you really can’t bear to be in front of the camera, here are a few ideas:
- If your pets aren’t self-conscious, get them to do the talking! Video your pet and record your voice.
- Take a video of a place that is special to the recipient and record your shared memories.
- If that’s not an option, why not add your voice over some of your photos or add text to them.
- If it’s just the talking you’re worried about, why not get a few friends together and dance or mime to their favourite song or make a carpool karaoke.
Good luck and remember to have fun. The team at the Video Message Company would love to hear how you get on.